Sunday, May 8, 2011

Why I started this blogging thing

After a lot of thought and prayer I decided that it was time for me to share with others what I love about the world, the welcoming feeling that can found around all cultures' tables.  I grew up around good food from a variety of cultures.  I am bi-racial and was blessed to have learned to cook and bake the foods from both sides of my family.  One of the ways that I show my love for family and friends is to cook for them.  It is a blessing when someone chooses to cook for you or share a meal with you.  You are showing a person that you care enough to share time with them.  To share a bit of who you are and that you want to learn about them as well.  No matter your race, religion, or creed...everyone eats.  We all may eat different foods and in different styles but to share a meal (or coffee or tea or wine) with someone is to be welcomed into a circle , a community (even if it is only for that brief time).

As I have grown up and roamed around the world, I somehow always found a family who sort of adopted me.  In some places it was a family owned restaurant, in others I was welcomed around the family table.  These families came in all shapes;  blood relatives, churches, college friends, military friends, the homeless, tribal/indigenous people, coworkers, and people who could be seen as my enemies.  We broke bread and shared wine.  We got to know each other, sometimes a little and sometimes with intimate detail.  Whenever I am able to make it back to those places, I try to visit those families.  It is an amazing feeling to be hugged and welcomed like the long lost cousin they haven't seen in years.  Again, we break bread, share wine, and catch up on the years spent apart.  I consider it a God given blessing that I have been able to bring people around a table,whether I am being welcomed to the table or I am doing the inviting.

I look forward to breaking bread and sharing wine with you all...even if it is virtually :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment