Sunday, October 16, 2011

A Happy Birthday

So I have had a pretty bad history with my birthdays in the recent year. And by bad I mean REALLY bad. I didn't make any plans as I was supposed to be out of the area again this year. Well, unbeknownst to me I was back in the U.S. earlier than I had expected but still made no plans. I was tired and the place I was looking forward to calling home got damaged during the summer's crazy weather. So instead of celebrating my birthday I planned on spending the day cleaning my apartment. A few days before the big day I got a text message from a good friend asking my plans for my big day. When I returned with, "A massage at the spa and then cleaning up my apartment. Why?", I was not surprised when he responded in typical smartass fashion, "that is dumb."

As I was sitting on my couch thinking, "Well no shit it's dumb but I need to get my apartment together and unpack my bags from my last work trip.", my phone rang. It was the smartass...I mean friend. He asked where I wanted to go and what I wanted to do for my big day because he was driving up. I was not shocked that he came the the friend rescue because he has a big heart. But I was caught off guard and surprised (which is probably what he was looking to do). I have barely "lived" in my apartment over the last few years I had no suggestions. He told me not to worry and took the reigns. I told him that I trusted him. I trust few people but after working together while deployed and knowing that he is also an adventurous foodie, I can truly say that I trust this friend.

He pulled off an amazing birthday of food and friendship. We spent dinner at Texas de Brazil catching up and enjoying amazing food. I have never been to a churrascaria before and this was a great introduction. The all you can eat barbequed meat was amazing. There was leg of lamb, bacon wrapped filet mignon, and great variations of chicken.




The desserts were amazing as well. I couldn't make up my mind on what I wanted so we decided to share two desserts. 




I am blessed to have friends in my life that are of this caliber. I was able to spend the evening making birthday memories that will make me smile for a lifetime. I wrote in my first posting about being lucky to have people in my life that I can go years without seeing and then be blessed to be welcomed back as if years have not passed. I have not seen this friend in over 2 years. We broke bread (ate lots of meat) and shared shared wine. We made our reunion and my birthday one to remember. And I am thankful for that.
Texas de Brazil on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment