Friday, November 18, 2011

Doner Kebab meets the Southwest Border

One of my colleagues was having a bad day at work today and wanted to head out for lunch. We needed to go someplace near by but would put a smile on his terribly gloomy face. I did a quick Google Maps search on my phone and found Döner Kebab. I said, "Hey Dave, there is a Döner Kebab in El Paso. I've never had one but you were always raving about it when talking about your time stationed in Germany."

My colleague literally couldn't speak. I looked at him & he had a huge smile. So off we went to find the Döner Kebab. Dave explained to me as I drove that Döners are the quintessential street food in Germany, apparently up there with Currywurst and Brats. We arrived at Döner and Dave walked me through the order process and what goes best with what. The staff was also very helpful since it was obvious that I was a novice and Dave was WAY excited to eat.



I ordered a standard kebab with fries which had German Ketchup. Both were very tasty. It was just what Dave needed to brighten his day. And it brought back memories of his time in Germany and I got to listen to stories about that time that I may not have otherwise learned about. I highly recommend this place to anyone wondering what a Döner Kebab. Also this is a perfect place for all those Ft. Bliss-ers who have been stationed in Germany and want to taste a bit of yumminess from that time.

The Doner Kebab Shop on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment