Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Halloween Tex-Mex Style

A friend and I hadn't seen each other in over a year. It seems we can never coordinate our work schedules properly. Finally,we were able to meet for Happy Hour and dinner at Alero on U Street. This was my first time at Alero even though I have seen the restaurant at various locations throughout DC. We walked into Alero that it was obvious my friend was a regular of sorts. But throughout the night I could see that the wait staff is almost always hustling and eager to please everyone in the restaurant.

The decor was appropriate for U Street, modern with oil paints surrounding a large bar and lounge area. I like the modern art as it reflects the history of the jazz roots of the U Street area. Alero seemed to find a way to combine Latin Jazz and local Afro-American Jazz in the art and the music being played.



There was a wide range of options on the Happy Hour food/drink menu and the regular menu. The menu prices are normal for what you see in the DC area. However, after spending years growing up with traditional southwestern and Mexican food (as well as living in Southern California and Texas), I have a problem paying $10 for a burrito. The chips and salsa are very tasty and went very well with the Happy Hour Modelo :-) The best value on both menus were the steak fajitas but I was in the mood for more steak than the fajitas offered. Maybe it was because I had channeled my inner Vampire all day in honor of Halloween but I went with the filet mignon. The filet was perfectly cooked to my medium rare taste.



I couldn't pass up the fried ice cream. I am happy that I didn't, it was delicious! Halloween, Happy Hour, and catching up with a great friend all were able to be enjoyed at Alero.

 

Alero on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment